2019-2020 APYO Open Auditions
You MUST fill out the online registration form prior to auditions.
The Arkansas Philharmonic Youth Orchestras welcome all students to the 2019-20 Open Auditions. New and returning students must audition.
Please sign up for an audition time and arrive 15 minutes beforehand to warm up and tune. Plan to be there for the entire hour. You must register for APYO before auditioning and sign up for an audition time. You will be notified of your placement by the end of the day and sent the repertoire so rehearsal can begin right away on Monday, September 23rd.
The APYO strives to make sure every child that wants to play with us does regardless of the playing level, race, gender, or orientation. It doesn't matter. We want you to be a part of our family and welcome you with open arms. We are extremely excited to be offering FREE Tuition for everyone this season. Please invite your friends.
Audition requirements for each ensemble are listed below. All students must perform a polished 1-2 minute excerpt from a repertoire piece at the skill level appropriate to the ensemble they are auditioning for.
- Chamber: Suzuki Book 6+ or equivalent (must shift beyond 3rd position)
- Sinfonia: Suzuki Book 3+ or equivalent (must shift up to 3rd position)
- Philharmonia: Suzuki Book 2+ (no shifting required)
- Overture: Suzuki Book 1 (must be able to play Twinkles)
1. Scales: Be prepared to perform a 3-octave major scale, not starting in first position (except for cello and bass), and a minor scale selected from the following keys:
- Violin: Keys of C, D, Eb, E, F
- Viola/Cello: Keys of F, G, Ab, A, Bb
- Bass: 2-octave G, A, Bb, C, D
2. Perform the piece for your instrument. The parts are marked with start and stop and they need to be prepared at 88 BPM.
3. Perform a polished 1-2 minute excerpt from a repertoire piece at the appropriate skill level.
1. Scales: Prepare a 3 octave major scale (C, D, G, or A) starting in first position and a minor scale of your choice.
2. Perform the assigned piece. Tempo should fall between 116-125 BPM.
Violin: Beginning - Downbeat of Letter B
Viola: Measures 26-55
Cello/Bass: Measures: 24-55
3. Select a polished 1-2 minute excerpt from a repertoire piece at the appropriate skill level.
Philharmonia & Overture Strings
1. Scales: Philharmonia - Prepare a 2 octave major scale and a minor scale if possible. Overture - Prepare an 1 octave major scale.
2. Perform a polished 1-2 minute excerpt from a repertoire piece at the appropriate skill level. (Overture must be able to play Twinkles at a minimum.)
Winds & Percussion (All)
1. Scales: For Sinfonia winds and percussion ensemble - Concert F, Bb, and D Major (1 octave) and chromatic scale.
Chamber Winds: Concert F, Bb, D Major (2 Octaves) and chromatic scales.
2. Perform the assigned etudes. There are three etudes for each instrument. Students auditioning for Sinfonia should prepare the top etude only. Those auditioning for Chamber should prepare the second and third etudes.
3. Select a polished 1-2 minute excerpt from a repertoire piece at the appropriate skill level. Percussion - perform a solo of your choice on EITHER a mallet keyboard instrument, snare drum, or timpani.